From: Robert Dewar <dewar@adacore.com>
To: paawan oza <paawan1982@yahoo.com>
Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
Sent: Fri, August 13, 2010 10:33:32 AM
Subject: Re: generic query regarding GPL and licensing terms associated with gdb

paawan oza wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a doubt regarding licensing terms set by GPL under which gdb falls too.
>
> Is it legal to discuss the new idea on gdb public mailing list, where idea may
>be already implemented in organisation but person does not belong to the
>organisation.
> and the organisation has used gdb and modified gdb undder GPL licensing terms.
>Is there anyway the organisation can legally take action claiming that the idea
>was first implemeted in the organisation (though have taken open source gdb and
>modified it under GPL) ?
> so having set out the context, can such ideas be discussed?

usually yes, unless the organization in question has patented the idea
(yes, I know you are not supposed to be able to patent ideas :-)

You cannot copyright ideas. Note that the *code* to implement the
idea is another matter, this is indeed copyrighted, and should not
be published to the gcc mailing list (or anywhere else without
proper permission).