Multiexec MI broke MI compatibility?

Hi,

I tried to use the latest GDB CVS version with Eclipse Galileo DSF
Debug launch, and it failed to launch a debug session. I looked at the
differences with Fedora's GDB7.0 that works in the same environment
and found out that the way MI reports threads totally changed. Some
notifications have changed (eg. thread-group-created became
thread-group-started), the way to identify thread groups has changed
(thus breaking the way Eclipse did that query)... All that changed
with the introduction of Multiexec MI.

This leads to some questions:
 - Was that expected?
 - What kind of backward compatibility does the MI interface provide?
 - Is there a GUI working with the latest GDB and supporting the
Multiexec features?

Thanks!
Fred