Re: Getting pissed off by gdb. Please help with stepping in.

On Thursday 18 March 2010 20:51:46, Michael Snyder wrote:
> Am I the only one who remembers that gdb used to have the behavior that
> is being discussed, and it was deliberately changed to behave the way it
> does today?
>
> My admittedly fallable memory cells are telling me that it was Fernando
> Nasser who championed the change, which means that it would have been
> at least five years ago.
>
> If I am right, the argument then was that the new behavior (what gdb
> has today) was closer to what users would expect.

Perhaps it was "step-mode" instead (or changing it's default)?  You
mentioned a command/setting for what you thought remembered, but
what we're discussing doesn't have a knob...

(gdb) help set step-mode
Set mode of the step operation.
When set, doing a step over a function without debug line information
will stop at the first instruction of that function. Otherwise, the
function is skipped and the step command stops at a different source line.

--
Pedro Alves