Re: Turnaround upgrade in mi2

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Sean Chen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I compared the two versions of MI (mi1 and mi2) but found no obvious
>> syntax change except some new commands. I think, personally, if there
>> is no turnaround upgrade in gdb 6.0,
>
> What is "turnaround upgrade"?

  I'm inferring it means any kind of back-compat break.

>> why did we need to accumulate the
>> version number to mi2? You know, there are also many new commands in
>> gdb 7.0, but we donât accumulate the mi version number to mi3 in gdb
>> 7.0.
>>
>> So I am prone to think I must have missed the turnaround upgrade in
>> mi2. Could somebody help to clarify? Thanks.
>
> I am afraid I don't know what are the differences between mi1 and mi2 and I am
> not sure it's worth investigating.

  I have a vague memory that the difference is how asynchronous output from
the inferior is presented in the output stream, and that the difference was
enough to make it impossible to unambiguously parse an mi stream without
knowing which one you were dealing with in advance.  Sorry, I have no
reference, but I'm sure there was a sane reason, I think it was to do with the
output format and its parseability, and so it wouldn't have been just because
new commands were added.

    cheers,
      DaveK