GDB GUI

Hi!
I'm new with gdb and I need help about writing a simple gui to control gdb output.
I just need something that permits me to send commands as from the textual interface and receive output as it is ... the main aspect I've to work on is variable inspection so I don't need to create a real frontend with a mess of functions ... I just need something that permits me to start gdb under a Java (for example) program and control it as I am writing on terminal.
Thanks.

Marco Menegazzi