Re: gdb.git mirror is broken

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Joseph S. Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> First and foremost, as I said in
> <http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2009-05/msg00117.html>, version control
> should make common tasks easy. ?That means a single command in a binutils
> checkout to commit both a BFD change and the testcases in the ld
> testsuite, for example. ?What things look like underneath is less
> important, and the exact spelling of the command is less important - but
> if it doesn't look like a single repository for common use cases like
> that, something is seriously wrong.

here is one way we could achieve the 'single commit across bfd and ld
testsuite' case,

by splitting bfd out, then subtree-merging it back in,
then doing a subtree merge to the separated bfd, when binutils changes...

one of the downsides to this is it is going to create alot of merge
commits which looks kind of funky in the separated bfd's gitk,

but assuming that we don't give anybody write access to the separated
bfd, we could do this automatically and assume there will be no
conflicts I imagine....

this script takes quite a while to run (for the initial splitting) and
a bit of disk space...

If we want to keep gdb in both the binutils and the separate module
though that creates some things to decide like which version is the
canonical one which developers should commit to, unless people feel
like merging it by hand...

the subtree merge isn't really something i'm that terribly familiar
with, but it seems to work, i haven't done a whole lot of repository
verification though.