Re: GDB 6.8.92 available for testing

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 05:17:24 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> --enable-system-readline also is still broken (Jan, please submit
> your gdb-readline-6.0.patch you have applied to Fedora's gdb).

* I do not consider it appropriate for FSF GDB as the Fedora patch is just
  a hack, GDB should not make references to readline internal variables.

* FSF GDB does build with the default options.  Dependencies on external
  libraries are a task of distro vendors and the distros already contain GDB
  patches on their own.

And the fix is not straightforward as trying to avoid this internal variable
reference one has to face the echoing behavior which I find brokwn already
even with the bundled readline and the existing internal variable reference:

Standard terminal readline:
$ gdb -q
(gdb) <enter>
(gdb)

TUI behavior:
$ gdb -q --tui
(gdb) <enter - nothing happens, it clears the same line>

The TUI window should emulate the standard terminal window so the behavior
should be the same, shouldn't it?  But I do not have a fix for this first
part.

Regards,
Jan