Re: GDB 7.0 regressions: s390(x)-linux, ppc(64)-linux, spu-elf

I was going to reply again to your initial email, going through each
patch one by one, but since I already commented on some of the patches
directly on gdb-patches, I'll reply to this message instead.

> - Put in the patches that are testsuite-only (7, 8, 9 in my list)
>   They should be harmless and significantly clean up test suite
>   results on some platforms

Yeah, I agree.

> - Put in the solely platform-specific patches (3, 5, 6)
>   I've tested these, and they definitely help on those platforms

  3. Displaced stepping missing on S/390
     This one seems safe. At worst, non-stop would still be broken...

  5. PIE detection not enabled on PowerPC and S/390
     I suggested we pass on this one because it's just a missing warning.
     But it only affects the targets that you know much better than
     I do, so I'll trust your judgement on this one.

  6. SPU gdbserver regressions when killing inferior
     Agreed that it would be nice to have it for 7.0.

> - The bitfield regression (1) seems a serious error affecting
>   multiple platforms that really should be fixed, and the patch
>   seems straightforward ...

I think it's OK to put this in 7.0 as well. Daniel reviewed
your patch, so that's two pairs of eyes.

> - The displaced stepping regression is unfortunate, as it completely
>   breaks a new feature.  The patch *should* affect only PowerPC, but
>   it does need to touch generic files (infrun.c), so there's always
>   some risk.  In any case, I'd prefer to get at least some feedback
>   before putting it in ...

This one seems a little more problematic indeed. Is that a regression
compared to 6.8? If it is, perhaps we could try to get it fixed for
7.0.1 instead?

> - The Obj-C changes are not really a regression, so it may not really
>   be critical to put those in.  On the other hand, they just touch
>   Obj-C code (except for one PowerPC-specific bugfix), and they
>   drastically improve the situation on PowerPC-64, so it would be
>   nice ...  Again, I'd definitely like some feedback first.

Given the severity of the problem (SEGV), I think we should put your
patch in 7.0.

--
Joel