Re: gdb cvs vs x86_64-apple-darwin10

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 03:29:11PM +0200, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 31 Aug 2009, at 15:22, Jack Howarth wrote:
>
>>   Getting x86_64-apple-darwin10 working should be a higher priority
>> for gdb 7.0 since it sounds like after the VTA branch merge into gcc
>> 4.5, we will need to have access to gdb 7.0 to debug code generated
>> with gcc 4.5 on darwin
>
> Do you think Apple will ever ship anything >gcc 4.2 on Mac OS X? As far
> as I can tell, they are trying to move completely to Clang+LLVM.
>
> Of course, maybe you build your own gcc (and AdaCore most certainly does
> build its own gcc).
>

> Jonas

Jonas,
   No. I strongly doubt Apple will ever ship a gcc > 4.2.1 due to a combination
of their objections to GPLv3 and their preception that gcc has been treading
water in terms of improvements. As the FSF gcc developers are fond of saying,
it's hard to make the elephant dance so Apple wanted to start with a more
modern code base and design with clang/llvm. FYI, I maintain the gcc packages for
fink and so far we have had pretty good luck with FSF gcc maintaining quality...

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2009-07/msg01866.html

although there will be forks coming like with LTO. Apple wants to use a
different approach for implementing LTO than FSF gcc does. I was told by
the llvm folks...

> The FSF is designing their LTO to not need linker integration.  This
> will present a whole host of problems for them, but they are insistent
> on it.  :)

I am unclear if the FSF design could be adapted for darwin without Apple's
participation on the linker side.
                  Jack