Re: How GDB knows a breakpoint is hit?

whenever you put a breakpoint at some address using GDB then GDB
replaces instruction at
that address with a trap, illegal divide, or some other instruction
that will cause an exception.
So when it's encountered, GDB will take the exception and stop the program.

Before you browse the code, go through
http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdbint_toc.html
once.

-Satendra