Re: Process record and reverse debugging

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 00:16, Anthony Green<green@moxielogic.com> wrote:
> I've been using the process record feature for reverse debugging my linux
> kernel bring-up: ?http://moxielogic.org/blog/?p=310

It's very cool.  I will show it to other people.  :)

> While I have found it useful, it would be nice if there was some way to
> coalesce the "undo" records for certain functions. ? For instance, memset
> calls can generate a lot of records but they're usually not interesting from
> a debugging perspective. ?I'm not sure the best way to handle this, but it
> seems like you could special-case some well known functions and treat them
> the same way system calls are handled.

Yes, I did a little plan for it in
http://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/ReversibleDebugging

# Make record speed up and need less memory. I have made a plan to
make p record doesn't record execution log of some functions (It can
set), for example some functions in glibc.

I will spend more time on it.

Thanks,
Hui