Re: Strange stack trace on Windows

Hi....

I am following up on an old post from Joel Brobecker from october 2007 regarding
strange stack traces on windows triggered by frameless functions (see below).
This is a real pain when using gdb on windows. You are seeing close to NOTHING
when you try to debug a crashing application on windows since gdb 6.0 especially
when the executable is multithreaded.

With the patch from Joel I get really good strack traces back in this case.
This is really good news. I can also sacrifice the missing frame. It is way better
than the other case.

But there is mabye a sideeffect of this patch when stepping thru an application.
GDB sometimes steps inside of functions I don't want to step into. Maybe Joel
has a new version ready?

What happens - my scenario:
I have a tiny application (just outlined here to keep it short) loading nothing
else than a certain dll and continue exection there...
int main (int argc, char **argv)
{
setbuf(stdout,NULL);
setbuf(stderr,NULL);
// Load shared library and continue there
anotherDLLHandle = LoadLibrary("another.dll");
anotherDLLFunction = GetProcAdress(anotherDLLHandle ,"function");
anotherDLLFunction();
..
}

Code from another.dll:
void function(void)
{
   setbuf(stdout,NULL);
   setbuf(stderr,NULL);
}

When I am stepping thru the app from main() without Joel's patch everything is fine
with stepping. When I use Joel's patch the following happens:
I can step correctly thru the app until I reach function() from another.dll.
As soon as I type next on one of the setbuf() functions gdb steps directly to
the assembly code of setbuf not over it as I would like to have it...

So what's wrong here? I would like to have correct stack traces AND correct stepping
thru my app on windows. IMHO should the stack trace issue be addressed in gdb
in general. In my eyes GDB should work as fine on windows as it does on eg. linux.
(BTW: I am using GDB from current CVS sources).

I attach the inital post from Joel containing the patch to my mail to get the right context.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Roland