Question: source code as part of debug info

Hello.

Sometimes it is desirable to have everything that is needed for source-level debugging in one self-contained object.
Not meant to replace version control system, just for the ease of use.

I think of some sort of section in debug info that could contain an appropriate subtree of source files off of which this object
has been derived.
Surprisingly, I haven't found anything like this.

Could someone please point what I am missing or clarify why my intention is wrong?
Or, maybe suggest other better, already-existing practice.

Thanks.
-- Max