Re: gdb.cp/templates.exp, ctor/dtor breakpoints, etc....

On 16.01.2009 18:18, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 06:11:08PM +0100, Christophe LYON wrote:
Doing this, I follow GCC behaviour, but I get a regression. If we don't consider this a GCC bug, it means that the way GDB recognizes ctor/dtor (any probably any overloaded function) is to be revisited? Am I right?

Yes, all of the name recognition stuff is broken. We shouldn't be relying on mangled names, since there are compilers we can not change as easily as GCC or yours that do not emit them.

Well, currently the gdb.cp/templates.exp is still KFAIL, so I guess the decision was that GCC should not output mangled names (somewhat confirmed by
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-12/msg00260.html).

But... if GDB does not rely on mangled names, how is it supposed to find the right template instantiation when trying to set a breakpoint on a function? For instance in templates.exp, where the T5 template is defined, how to find the T5<int> ctor, if all the ctor instantiations are named "T5" ? Should GDB analyse all the type definition in .debug_info and find the right type?

Christophe.