store the contents of target âs RAM in frequent intervals

Hi,
            I would like to know if there is any possibility for adding
functionality in GDB which could store the contents of targetâs RAM in
frequent intervals into hard disk so that, when accidentally switched off or
shut down of an embedded target, we can resume the execution of the program
from where it earlier stopped (i.e previous save point). Conceptually It is
some what similar to the Hibernate function used in Windows xp, Service pack
2. I was thinking of inducing this functionality for embedded targets in
particular.
           Need araises when a test program is made to run for days and
probably weeks. Suppose, if someone switches off the unit on say 2nd day, it
should be able to continue from that point. Else, the program is made to run
all over again resulting in wastage of time.

Regards,
Sandeep