add-symbol-file arguments

Is it possible to "stringify" the value in a variable and use the result in another gdb command.  The specific command is add-symbol-file.

I can change gdb to make this work however I'm wondering if I could do this via a script which would be set to run when a particular breakpoint happens.

I've played around by defining a command to run when this module load breakpoint hits but I can't figure out how to swizzle the value into a form that I could pass as the first argument to add-symbol-file.  The 2nd  argument (offset) is evaluated so I can use the value in the register.

I saw this discussed in the archives once back in 2002 but it that centered around making add-symbol-file evaluate arguments.

Thanks,