Re: "Cannot find new threads" on Fedora 9, but not on CentOS 5 (?)

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Andrew Lofthouse <loftyhauser@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that there is some difference in the linking of shared
> libraries between Fedora 9 and CentOS 5.  With the same exact code and the
> same exact configure, make sequence, CentOS 5 ldd shows libpthread (without
> explicitly specifying it, i.e. LIBS=-pthread), while on Fedora, there is no
> explicit link.  Thus, gdb doesn't handle it on Fedora 9.  I wonder what is
> different?

You can tell: for each library in ldd output on Fedora 9, namely:

       /usr/local/lib/libufs2D-0.9.so.2
       /usr/local/lib/libgts-0.7.so.5
       /lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0
       /lib/libdl.so.2
       /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
       /lib/libselinux.so.1

do 'ldd /path/to/lib' on CentOS.
At least one of them (I expect) will show libpthread.so.0 dependency,
which implies that they were built differently.

> And, yet, it handles your test case as well...

Since we can't replicate "bad GDB behavior" on a test case, I am
afraid the only way forward is for you to debug gdb with itself.

This isn't as bad as it sounds, but probably would require some
effort from you.

Something like this:

  gdb -ex 'set prompt (top) ' --args gdb /usr/local/bin/ufs2oogl2D

  (top) rbreak throw_
  # should set a couple of breakpoints

  (top) run
  (gdb) set verbose on
  (gdb) run -T "rho" < UAM10_002_UFS-005000.sim > test.plt
  # expect one of the throw_ breakpoints to fire and you should see
  # "(top)" prompt.

  (top) where

--
Paul Pluzhnikov