Re: GDB to C++ issue: deletion

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 04:25:18PM -0700, Paul Hilfinger wrote:
> But that's just an overall argument about total execution time.
> Common sources of short-lived variables (say during parsing and
> (sub)expression evaluation) don't produce that many variables between
> prompts (usually).  What I was more interested in was the possibility
> of noticeably large changes in pause times for expensive operations
> (such as re-reading a symbol table) on large executables.  I can think
> of approaches, certainly, but have no actual experience with how well
> they integrate with STL classes in practice.

Yes, those are exactly the sort of allocations that we wouldn't
quickly convert...

I imagine you could make STL containers use obstacks through the
allocator interface, but it would depend on QoI how much extra
allocation was done.  Anyway, I don't know much about it so I will be
quiet now.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery