What does gdb stub need for thread aware debugging on embedded system?

I'm looking to get thread aware debugging running on our "sparc-alike"
Leon II processor.

Unlike the usual sparc stub, I cannot get thread information from
Solaris as we're not running solaris on this device.

If I understand things correctly, getting gdb working should just be a
matter of tying gdb/sparc-stub.c to our serial ports by defining
  extern void putDebugChar();	/* write a single character      */
  extern int getDebugChar();	/* read and return a single char */

Grepping through that code the word "thread" doesn't occur.

What I'm missing is how does gdb get information about threads from
the devices OS to gdb running on the desktop.

Any pointers to the right bit of documentation / code would be most
welcome.

John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639 Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632 PO Box 1645 Christchurch Email : john.carter@tait.co.nz New Zealand