Re: repo to work on python scripting support

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 11:44 -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
> Long-term compatibility in the Python API is something we haven't
> discussed.  I'm really not sure what to do about this -- we really are
> exposing a decent amount of gdb internals to the world this way.

We are, but at least up until now we've been exposing things which are
there in GDB for a long time now (struct breakpoint, struct frame_info,
struct value), and attributes which are fairly intrinsic to them, like
frame.get_pc(). I expect this stuff to be stable between releases.

I also expect that most (if not all) of what is exposed is along these
lines, that is, providing a "view" of the general GDB internal
components, as oposed to exposing exoteric internal GDB code which is
likely to change often.

Since the C <-> Python glue code provide some decoupling, it's possible
to accomodate for some changes in the GDB internals.

All in all, my hope is that compatibility of python scripts accross GDB
versions won't be a frequent issue. We could provide a method which
returns the GDB versions so that scripts can accomodate for changes, if
the need arises?
--
[]'s
Thiago Jung Bauermann