Re: repo to work on python scripting support

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:15:22AM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:
> The goal of supporting Python scripting should be to provide an
> environment that is familiar to Python programmers.

No, I don't think so.  The goal of supporting Python scripting is
to make it easy to implement useful and usable GDB commands in a
way accessible to Python programmers.

These are functions which will be directly shown to the user.  We
need _consistency_ in how their arguments are passed; experience has
shown that inconsistency is a serious problem.  I don't think any
sort of polymorphism is going to be necessary or desirable in
practice.

Don't confuse this with typing.  It's just going to say EXPRESSION
and if you want to handle strings and ints, that's fine.  The "caller"
is the human user typing some characters.

Can you give me an example of where it would be more useful not to
do it this way?  Regardless of the details of how we pre-specify
arguments.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery