Re: MI non-stop mode spec

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 14:09:38 Bob Rossi wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:16:01AM +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> >
> > Making good used of GDB in async mode, and especially in async non-stop
> > mode demands some changes in MI -- both general clarifications, and actual
> > work to allow most MI commands while the target is running and define
> > their behaviour.
>
> Do you mind posting an updated grammar for the GDB/MI changes that you
> are making? or at least just a diff of it?

The following changes will happen:

	output ==>
	( out-of-band-record )* [ result-record ] "(gdb)" nl

becomes:

	output ==>

		( out-of-band-record | result-record | "(gdb)" ) nl

then

	async-class ==>
		"stopped" | others (where others will be added depending on the needs--this is still in development).

becomes:

	async-class ==>
	 "stopped" | "running" | "thread-created" | others (where others will be added depending on the needs--this is still in development).

> I currently maintain a gdb/mi bison parser that i have not put into
> production use yet. However, the time for this is coming, I will
> probably start working on this again after all of these changes get
> through.

Except for the 'output' change -- which essentially codifies that
MI output is a sequence of almost independent lines, I don't think
there are further changes to the grammar planned except for adding
new async-classes.

> At one point, I would parse all of the output of gdb/mi that came
> from running 'make check' in the gdb.mi testsuite. If you would like,
> I could do that again after your patch, and let you know where it
> breaks.

That would be good, thanks.

- Volodya