Re: Non-stop multi-threaded debugging

On Thursday 29 November 2007 19:39:18 Pawel Piech wrote:

>  I don't believe that I suggested adding any new command.
>  Instead, I suggested only changing the behavior of
>  some of the existing commands to use the currently selected thread.
>  It was Jim's proposal that included adding new commands.
>  My point was that instead of adding new commands it would be cleaner
>  to extend the functionality of -thread-select in order to select
>  a process context, i.e. a context that includes all threads.
>  This way existing commands, which currently can only operate
>  on a global context, could now operate on a process or a thread context.

Ok, we have those choices:

1. Make -exec-continue work on all threads, until -thread-select is used.
2. Make -exec-continue work on one thread, and add another command
to operate on all threads.
3. Make -exec-continue still operate on all threads, unless
and explicit option to make it operate on a thread is given.

You've indicated that (1) and (3) are about the same in complexity for you --
am I right? I personally prefer (3), since it does not implicitly changes
the meaning of existing commands.

Surely, non-stop mode does require some changes in frontend, but the
fewer changes are, the better, IMO.

- Volodya