Re: Multiple breakpoint locations

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 06:08:08AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Cc: Vladimir Prus <ghost@cs.msu.su>,  gdb@sources.redhat.com
> > From: Jim Blandy <jimb@codesourcery.com>
> > Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:26:26 -0800
> >
> > Following that link, I think I now better appreciate why full C++
> > support in GDB is basically impossible: in order to decide which 'fun'
> > template the call in 'main' refers to, one must try to instantiate
> > each template and type-check the resulting code.  So GDB would need to
> > essentially incorporate a full C++ front end.
>
> The information emitted by the compiler (which already has a full C++
> implementation) could help, couldn't it?

It helps, but not much more than we use it already.  The debug info
isn't designed to include some of the extra details needed to figure
out where things are visible and what all the options are.

In my opinion, we do this well enough.  Every once in a while I poke
at doing overloading and template selection better in GDB, but what
we have is adequate for most uses and the marginal work required to
improve it is substantial.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery