Re: Multiple breakpoint locations

On Nov 13, 2007 2:18 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From:  Vladimir Prus <ghost@cs.msu.su>
> > Date:  Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:28:15 +0300
> >
> > >   (gdb) d 1.1
> > >   warning: bad breakpoint number at or near '1.1'
> >
> > Well, you can't really delete a location -- if breakpoint expression
> > corresponds to 20 addresses, that's the way it is -- you cannot delete
> > some of those addresses from the program ;-)
>
> Sorry, I don't understand why; can you please elaborate?  Removing a
> breakpoint instruction from a specific address is a primitive
> operation of the target back-end; why can't we use it for that single
> address?

I think it's a question of how much complexity one wants here.  AIUI,
the breakpoint is represented as source+line.  One would have to
augment that to mean source+line+except-this (I think).

Also, it's not just "delete 1.1".  It's also condition, commands, and
ignore.  I'm not suggesting all (or any) should be supported, just
that we shouldn't tackle any of them without thinking the big picture
through at least a bit.  As of today, in the context of `delete,
condition, commands, ignore' there is just one breakpoint with N
sub-breakpoints (so to speak).  [AIUI of course.]