Re: Multiple breakpoint locations

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 09:09:05AM +1300, Nick Roberts wrote:
>  > >   (gdb) d 1.1
>  > >   warning: bad breakpoint number at or near '1.1'
>  >
>  > Well, you can't really delete a location -- if breakpoint expression
>  > corresponds to 20 addresses, that's the way it is -- you cannot delete
>  > some of those addresses from the program ;-)
>
> It's not immediately obvious, at least to me, so I think this should be
> documented.  Also I think error should be used for the message instead of
> warning as the requested task is not performed. The message could be more
> helpful too:
>
> (gdb) d 1.1
> This breakpoint cannot be deleted on its own.

Yeah, this is yet another leaky abstraction. The common user has no idea
why multiple breakpoints are created at once, and why they can not
delete only one of the multiple added.

I like the idea of showing the description. Perhaps with a reason why.

>  > > 2) I can enable/disable 1 and this appears to enable/disable all the
>  > > locations.
>  > >    Perhap this could be documented in the manual.
>  >
>  > Well yes. Patches welcome ;-)
>
> I don't want to detract from the fact that you have contributed a major
> patch but I think you should document your own changes.  This is also a
> good idea because you understand the changes best.

Again, this is going to be something that is asked over and over. I
think it'd be great to have it in the manual.

Bob Rossi