Re: misc extended scripting bits

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 12:14:47PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Friday 09 November 2007, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 05:43:29AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > is there a way to do indirection of evaluating statements ?  in other
> > > words, is there an equivalent of the shell "eval" command ?  so something
> > > like:
> >
> > Nope.  Nor any of your other ideas, sorry.
> >
> > I remain more interested in scripting language integration than
> > extending the current CLI.
>
> does that mean lang hooks exist or that it is the planned route for future
> work ?

I keep talking about it but not having time to work on it :-(  The
wiki link points over here:

  http://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/ProjectIdeas
  http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2007-01/msg00126.html

I believe we reached a more-or-less agreement on Python.  I hope that
either someone else will find time to work on and contribute this, or
else that I will.  I was hoping it would get done in 2007 but unless
my December is a lot more boring than my November is going to be, I
won't have time.

> > For instance, one big hangup with eval is
> > that we have no real concept of strings.
>
> i did notice that anytime i tried to use a string, gdb complained about lack
> of target defining a malloc symbol ...

Yep.  Each string is malloc'd, placed in target memory, and treated as
a char *.  I've done some work on this, but nothing mature.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery