Stopping single thread from multithreaded program?

Hi all,
I have one question about the functionality of the gdb. Is it possible
to break in a single thread of a multithreaded program, while the other
threads proceed with their execution? I want to single step one thread,
while the other threads are still running.
At this time I am only capable to stop the whole process with all
threads. I am using linux with the pthread library on a PPC target.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Holger Brunck