attaching gdb causes pthread_create hang [gdb6.3, long subject]

Hi everyone, maybe you can help me.
There is following scenario:
1) I use gdb6.3, which was build on some linux, and I cannot change its version and cannot build gdb for every linux on the world (I mean I have to deliver built gdb to customers, regardless of which linux they have)
2) mentioned gdb will be used for debugging another delivered application (huge and complicated)

Problem is, that gdb on on some linux machines works fine, on others it causes that inside debugged application pthread_create hangs (from boost::thread).
But:
- with simple application which uses boost::thread (pthread_create) it works fine
- when I build the same gdb version on such specific linux, it works fine too!
- it's not specific for linux distribution, my quess is that some additional installed packages (or differences between them) can cause this problem

And my questions
-what can cause mentioned problems? different system libraries (which one)? what else?
-what kind of operations does gdb which could harm debugged application?

Thank in advance
Bogdan