Re: Questions about gdb/mi support on the Mac

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 07:33:49AM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 07:24:38AM -0400, Bob Rossi wrote:
> > Well, in that case, hopefully people realize that apple is making some
> > silly decisions by making a monopoly on gdb front ends. Not that I
> > believe this was there intention, but I do believe it was a
> > consequence of there irresponsibility.
>
> You may want to think about the reality of software development a
> little.  They have the only port of GDB to Mac OS X; anyone else could
> have done one, but no one did.  They seem to want to contribute it
> back, too.  They just never have time.  This is partly because of
> the immense schedule pressure at Apple.  It's also partly because of
> how much work it is to contribute to GDB.

Ha, the only port of GDB, and it only works with their front end! That
sounds like a monopoly to me. In fact, it sounds like one of the tactics
msft used when making content for there web browser. I do not
think that apple would have made this decision on purpose. I'm also not
suggesting some sort of conspiracy theory. I understand how this sort of
issue could have come about, because the original apple programmers
either didn't care, or didn't think about other front ends.

In the future, I think they should be more friendly to the rest of the
community and there users by either sticking to the mi that GDB supports,
or making a -i=mi-apple protocol.

That's just my 2 cents as a front end developer. You can either listen
to it and accept it, or shrug it off as I'm a crazy lunatic.

Bob Rossi