Re: Questions about gdb/mi support on the Mac

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 12:56:18PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:43:15 -0400
> > From: Bob Rossi <bob_rossi@cox.net>
> >
> > > If you are using GDB an Mac OS X, it is Apple's highly customized
> > > version to work with Xcode.  You'd really have to ask them about it -
> > > it's got common ancestry with other versions of GDB, but has changed
> > > quite a lot to work better with their IDE.
> >
> > That's disappointing. Does that mean that a front end written to work on
> > all other platforms with fsf gdb wouldn't work on Mac OS X?
>
> I think it _will_ work on a Mac, if stock GDB from the FSF sources is
> used.

Well, sure.

> The problem is that the GDB installed by default on a Mac
> isn't a stock one, but has extensive changes.

Yeah, that's very unfortunate. It's to bad apple made such a silly
decision. Think about all the front ends to gdb that won't work on Mac
OS X out of the box. I have users that use cgdb on Mac OS X. It works
because I still use the annotate 2 interface. I'm currently working on
switching over to gdb/mi, it's to bad I'll have to tell my mac
users it won't work.

I think the responsible thing that apple should have done would have
been to make an --interp=mi-apple, which would allow there front end to
work with gdb.

Bob Rossi