Re: GDB transition to GPLv3 should now be complete

> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:33:33 -0400
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
>
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 05:28:42PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > > Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:12:51 -0400
> > > From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
> > >
> > > GDB is now licensed under the terms of GPLv3.
> > >
> > > There is one issue identified left before the release: printing of
> > > signed and unsigned characters and strings. I found the patch
> > > submission, but it looks like it never went in (for lack of agreement
> > > on it?).
> >
> > Yes, and I think the only reasonable thing to do in this case is to
> > stick with historical behaviour.
>
> I posted a patch for what I believe is a better reasonable choice, on
> July 5th.  If you don't think it is acceptable, could you respond to
> it, please?
>
>   http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2007-07/msg00101.html

I thought I did.  Anyway, the arguments have been given before:

1. There is quite a bit of code that uses "unsigned char *" for
   strings, to avoid unwanted sign extension.

2. Not all debug formats (most notably stabs) do not make the
   distinction between unqualified "char" and "(un)signed char".

Mark