Re: frame cache

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 10:35:59AM -0700, Michael Eager wrote:
> I don't see any links to the <target>_frame_cache in frame_info.
> I don't see anything in frame.c which looks like it searches
> for the correct <target>_frame_cache.  Can you point me at the
> right place?

Sure:

  /* The frame's low-level unwinder and corresponding cache.  The
     low-level unwinder is responsible for unwinding register values
     for the previous frame.  The low-level unwind methods are
     selected based on the presence, or otherwise, of register unwind
     information such as CFI.  */
  void *prologue_cache;
  const struct frame_unwind *unwind;

> When I put debugging code in <target>_analyze_prologue(), I see
> that it is called over and over while executing a "next" command.
> All those bits going back and forth over the serial line to the
> target.

I like to use GDB's built in data caching and/or set
trust-readonly-sections.  I hope we can make the data caching more
aggressive by default at some point.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery