Performance, stepping into source for shared libs

I have a C++ app with just a small main.cpp. However
it links into large libraries (GTK and framework on
top of GTK, running i386 Linux).

Most times when I open the app in GDB I will have
quite a delay when stepping into a lower function the
first time. CPU usage goes to 100% and it takes
between 10 and 60 seconds before I can see the new
source line. The next time stepping into the same
function, it happens without delay.

Stepping into a new function in another source file
(possibly in the same directory as the last one) I
again have the long delay.

It seems to happen mostly with functions in shared
libraries.

First I thought it was the IDE (Eclipse) to blame. So
I tried in GDB standalone, command line version. Same
delay!

Is there some way to reduce these waits?

What is GDB up to during this time (it doesn't give
any feedback)?

Regards
// ATS

      Låt vårkänslorna spira!