Re: Scope Checking Patch

Rob Quill wrote:
On 11/06/07, Markus Deuling <deuling@de.ibm.com> wrote:
Hi Rob,

I haven't gone through your patch, but I have a suggestion. If I do a patch for GDB I do it like that:

a) Checkout current head
b) Create a copy of that directory e.g. gdb.new
c) Do my changes in gdb.new
d) Create patch by: diff -urN gdb/ gdb.new/ > diff-file

Thanks. I tried this, but I ended up with a 214MB diff file. I'm not sure why this is, as I did a make distclean on both copies, I think it may be due to the testsuite results not having been cleaned or something. Does anyone have any ideas what to do?

Hm, I think I haven't pointed it out clearly. Lets assume following directory structure:

gdb-6.6/  <- extract gdb-6.6.tar.bz2
gdb.dev/  <- copy of gdb-6.6/
gdb.dev/build <- directory in which you configure & build gdb
gdb.dev/gdb <- source tree where you do your changes
gdb-6.6/gdb <- original gdb source tree

You do a patch now with following command:
diff -urN gdb-6.6/gdb/ gdb.dev/gdb > diff-file

What you should do is to compare ONLY the source tree in gdb/ directories.

To configure & build gdb: cd gdb.dev/ mkdir build cd build/ ../configure --disable-werror make

You should always build GDB in a directory separate from source directory.

-- Markus Deuling GNU Toolchain for Linux on Cell BE deuling@de.ibm.com