single-stepping and internal breakpoints on a multi-threaded program

Hello members,

My colleague has found a problem about handling single-stepping on a
multi-threaded target running on Linux box.

The attached program makes two sub threads, and we do single-stepping
on one of them.
When the target get stopped by a internal breakpoint hit (ex. thread
creation, thread death, shared library loading) during singe-stepping,
GDB unconditionally resume all the thread and it result in running
over the range of single-stepping.

The session log below shows one of the phenomena reproduced on X86
FC6; the problem occured when the second thread was created.
I can see them 10-20% of the time on our Cell hardware running FC5
(note that the program is compiled just for PPC64) and X86 FC5/FC6.

----
GNU gdb 6.6.50.20070330-cvs
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
(gdb) b 14
Breakpoint 1 at 0x80484fa: file mt.c, line 14.
(gdb) l 14
9       {
10        int i;
11        int cnt = *((int *) arg);
12        pid_t pid = getpid();
13
14        for (i=0; i<cnt; i++)
15          printf ("[%d]counter: %d\n", pid, i);
16
17        return NULL;
18      }
(gdb) r
Starting program: /project/07/user/suzuki/test/mt/mt
[New Thread -1208011072 (LWP 28472)]
[28472]start
[New Thread -1208013936 (LWP 28475)]
[Switching to Thread -1208013936 (LWP 28475)]

Breakpoint 1, counter (arg=0xbfd491b0) at mt.c:14
14        for (i=0; i<cnt; i++)
(gdb) s
[New Thread -1218503792 (LWP 28476)]
[28472]no_counter
[Thread -1218503792 (LWP 28476) exited]
[28472]counter: 0
[28472]counter: 1
[28472]counter: 2
[28472]counter: 3
[28472]counter: 4
[28472]counter: 5
[28472]counter: 6
[28472]counter: 7
[28472]counter: 8
[28472]counter: 9
[Thread -1208013936 (LWP 28475) exited]
Thread Event Breakpoint: gdb should not stop!
(gdb)
----

I saw that the context of single-stepping thread is preserved by
context_switch called in handle_inferior_event, but GDB doesn't go
back to that context till the thread is trapped in another reason
(in the above case, the death of the thread).

I think it should either stop immediately and prompt the user that the
single-stepping has been cancelled, or goes back to the preserved
context somehow and continue single-stepping.
How do you think of it?

Thanks in advance,
--
Emi SUZUKI
#include <stdio.h>

void *
counter(void *arg)
{
  int i;
  int cnt = *((int *) arg);
  pid_t pid = getpid();

  for (i=0; i<cnt; i++)
    printf ("[%d]counter: %d\n", pid, i);

  return NULL;
}

void *
no_counter (void *arg)
{
  pid_t pid = getpid();

  printf ("[%d]no_counter\n", pid);

  return NULL;
}

int
main (void)
{
  pid_t p_pid;
  pthread_t thread_id1, thread_id2;
  int status;
  int count = 10;

  p_pid = getpid ();
  printf ("[%d]start\n", p_pid);

  status = pthread_create (&thread_id1, NULL, counter, (void *)&count);
  if (status != 0)
    {
      fprintf (stderr, "pthread_create : %s", strerror(status));
      return (1);
    }

  status = pthread_create (&thread_id2, NULL, no_counter, (void *)NULL);
  if (status != 0)
    {
      fprintf (stderr, "pthread_create : %s", strerror(status));
      pthread_join (thread_id1, NULL);
      return (1);
    }

  pthread_join (thread_id2, NULL);