Stripped files

We've had a couple of discussions about stripped files here lately and so I want to know a couple of things from GDB's point of view.

Am I breaking any assumptions in the GDB code if the code running on a remote target is stripped and the code that GDB loads on the host has the symbolic information? In other words is GDB likely to get confused by this situation?

If the situation in the above paragraph isn't a problem, would it be a good idea for GDB to sniff for the file with the symbolic information via an default extension. For example the file that would be on the remote target would be something like libfoo.so and the file that that gdb would look for first on the host system would be libfoo.so-withsymbols and then fi that didn't exist it would look for libfoo.so.

What do you think of that?