Re: gdbserver/gdb-6/4 and lots of pthreads

Daniel,
I had patching problem - grabbing the source from 11/20 (which includes your commit from 11/16) did
solve my performance/thrashing problem with "lots of pthreads". As far as I can tell, gdb is doing everything I
need it to do with my powerpc shared libraries program.

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 03:01:01PM -0500, jbbachky@aim.com wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 01:46:56PM -0500, jbbachky@aim.com wrote: >>Sending packet: >>

$QPassSignals:e;10;11;13;14;17;18;1a;1b;1c;1e;1f;20;21;24;25;4c;#af...Ack

>Ignore signal 0xe. In the GDB remote protocol that is SIGALRM.

I had "handle SIGALRM nostop noprint" in my .gdbinit file I had
added
that while
digging into this problem a while ago and had forgotten about it.
Removing it
and re-running everything doesn't appear to have an effect. In

That's the default, so it should make no difference.

This is the CVS version from Wednesday evening, with your patch
contained here:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2006-11/msg00114.html

That should be fine. But update to today's CVS with no extra patches just to be sure.

If it's still doing this, then I would recommend a debugging printf in
linux-low.c, right before the new if statement with the pass_signals[]
check. pass_signals[target_signal_from_host (WSTOPSIG (wstat))] ought
to be set for SIGALRM, and we ought not to return it to GDB, but your
log says we did that.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery