Re: MI and anonymous unions

Support for anonymous unions & structures is another of the "things we fixed but haven't submitted back"... We do pretty much what Vladimir suggests, though I use #anon#N for the varobj name: the choice doesn't much matter. We still return a blank expression (since that's really what the There's one other tricky bit 'caused by the fact that you might have more than one anonymous union or structure inside a structure. This wouldn't be a problem, but the varobj code tends to look up structure elements by name, which obviously won't work here. So you have to convert all the code that looks up structure elements to use the index rather than the name.

Another of the things we do in our varobj code for C++ is that we look up the dynamic type of objects (the same mechanism that "set print object on" uses, and the value & children we return are based on the dynamic type. As soon as you do that, you really do need a "give me the expression that can recreate this varobj" for child varobj's. Otherwise the MI client needs to get all these dynamic casts right to get down to the proper child, which is a bit of a pain.

But it's a generally useful command. We called it "var-info-path- expression" and given a varobj, it returns the expression that if evaluated would result in the same value. Xcode uses this for "show in separate window" actions in the debugger variable view. You can also use the to eliminate the "." for the anonymous structures or unions - though of course the MI client could do this too...

Jim