From: Michael Snyder [mailto:Michael.Snyder@palmsource.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:07 PM
To: Joel Brobecker; Ray Duran
Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
Subject: RE: gdb build error

Ray, here's your problem in a nutshell:

ada-lex.c is not a "primary source file" -- it's a generated file.
It's normally generated by 'flex', which is the GNU version of lex,
during the make process.  The source file that it is generated from
is called ada-lex.l, (l for lex), and that file SHOULD be present
in your source (tarball) tree.

However, since some people don't have flex installed, we (the gdb
maintainers) usually go ahead and include ada-lex.c in our source
distribution, just to make things easy.  And in fact, you will find
it in our tarball for gdb-6.5 (I hope).

However*2, you are not getting your source tarball from us.
You're getting it from the insight maintainers.  And for whatever
reason, they seem to have omitted this file, perhaps assuming that
everyone has flex installed and therefore can generate it.

So there are a number of things you can do at this point.
I can only think of one that would fall under the category
of "supported", though, and that would be --

     Install flex.

This is not difficult to do, and you don't even have to be
root to install it somewhere locally.

If you don't want to do that, you could obtain the actual
gdb-6.5 tarball (as opposed to the insight gdb tarball),
unpack it, and copy the file from there into your insight
tree.  This SHOULD be ok, but we can't make you any guarantees.
There's always the possibility that their version is different
(but it's highly unlikely).

To be safe, you could diff the two versions of ada-lex.l.
If they are the same, then you are home free.

Michael