RE: preserving gdb symbols

>> So my question is first of all is there any way I can
>> just save all of the symbol information I have in
>> memory, so that I can reload it when reading the core
>> on a different machine.
>
> No.  Save the files instead.

Actually, I have a vague nagging memory to the effect that
it used to be possible to do that.  We've been thru a number
of cycles of "what can we do about the long time it takes
to read in symbols?"  Seems like one attempt was to read them
in once and then save them, so you could get them more-or-less
instantly on subsequent sessions.