Adding files to GDB

Hi,

I am wondering how to do the following:

Say I wish to add a command to gdb, and then have the code carried out
using this command in a new files or files, I should be able to figure
out how to add a command using GDB Internals and looking through the
code, but I have no real idea of how to add the files so they compile
and are used.

I quick look in the Autotools book mentions a makefile.am, but I can't
fine one of these, and all of this is very new to me.

Thanks for your time and help.

Rob