Re: Instrcutions that must not be stepped.

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 16:54 -0700, PAUL GILLIAM wrote:
> I propose changing the meaning of SOFTWARE_SINGLE_STEP_P () from "This
> arch has no hardware to do single step and must use software." to "There
> may be circumstances where this arch will have to do single stepping
> with out hardware support." And make SOFTWARE_SINGLE_STEP return 1 if a
> software single step was needed and 0 if it was not.  This would require
> a minor change for those arches currently using SOFTWARE_SINGLE_STEP and
> a little tweeking in "infrun.c".
>
> The only difference between doing a software single step as it is now
> and doing an "atomic single step" is how the decision of where to place
> temporary breakpoints is made.

I have attached two diff's: "change_software_single_step.diff" makes the
change I proposed above.  I changed the name "software_single_step" to
"possibly_single_step_with_software".

"ppc-atomic-series.diff" should be applied after the previous patch.  It
adds the code for PowerPC on native linux that uses the new scheme and
checks for an atomic sequence.  If it find one, it prints a message to
that effect does the same type of thing as
"rs6000_possibly_single_step_with_software" after finding where to set
the breakpoints.

I have a clean compile with this, but have not done any testing yet.  I
will send these patches to gdb-patches after a bit of testing (unless I
get a huge out-cry here 8-)

-=# Paul #=-