Re: text file formats

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 03:07:42PM -0400, Bob Rossi wrote:
> This is exactly my reasoning. Usually I agree 100% with Daniel, but in
> this circumstance, I just think it's wrong to say "sorry, your out of
> luck" to the user.

Native formats are the only sort we can support reliably.

We get line numbers from the debug information, which was produced by a
compiler - any compiler.  If the file is in native format, the compiler
can be presumed to have gotten the line numbers right.  If it isn't,
then they could be totally out of whack.  And the compiler could have
been run on a different platform.  Supporting all of the possible
combinations is simply impossible.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery