New language support question

Hi all,
Me and my project-mate are currently writing a compiler as a project of a university course. The target code runs through a virtual machine we wrote. We want to debug that language with gdb.
I did some googling as well as read the gdb internals documentation but it didn't help much so as how to modify the gdb sources...
Any help would be appreciated ... Thanks
Regards,
Vassilis Kazazakis