Re: Where in the (info) manual is the license statement supposed to go?

> Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 22:52:17 -0500
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
>
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 12:16:09AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > Are these supposed to show up in the Info document?
> >
> > Not in the parts that the Info reader displays.
>
> OK.  I do find that a bit strange, though.  It's the license of the
> document; we include the full text of the FDL as an appendix, but not
> the details of how it applies to the manual you're reading.  If I
> wanted the licensing terms for an Info manual, Info's where I'd expect
> to find them.

IANAL, but to me, the fact that we have the terms in the file is
enough.  They are not part of the manual itself.  In a sense, this is
analogous to an executable program: you only see the terms if you
invoke it with a special command-line option.

That said, if you think this is strange, please write to RMS about it.

> > Why are you asking this?  Is there any specific problem with how
> > things are currently?  This is how every GNU manual handles the GFDL
> > mandatory blurbs.
>
> Another Debian developer expressed some confusion over the current
> situation, in a bug report.

They should talk to RMS.