Re: gdb for multicore processors ?

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 10:49:39PM -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> One more thing.
>
> XGate code gets compiled to reside in flash.  However, it gets relocated
> to run from RAM as it runs much faster there.  GDB will have to know
> that the address it sees in RAM isn't the address it was compiled to.
> The file format is elf, if that helps.

How to handle this depends on how you do it.  Traditionally you set the
VMA in the ELF file to point to the RAM location; then everything will
Just Work.

> On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 22:47 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> > Each processor has its own register set and instruction set.  They are
> > not the same.  They share the same memory map, but the xgate processor
> > addresses things differently.

> > We are building the BDM, so theoretically we could connect 2 gdb
> > processes to the same BDM, if that helps.  That would allow us to have a
> > separate GDB instance for each process.  Or should one GDB instance
> > handle both processors ?

I strongly recommend using two GDB sessions, for now.  It's a long-term
design goal for GDB to be able to debug heterogenous systems, but no
one has been working on it lately, and there's a long way to go.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC