Re: [RFC] plugin/extension interface

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 02:13:11PM +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:
> The way gdb works, when i type: target avrjtagice -d /dev/ttyS2,
> gdb uses (or registers) using: void _initialize_remote_jtag (void).

Incorrect; that happens at GDB startup.

> If the functions (or framework) used in these target interfaces are
> documented, the problems would be solved with little other than a bit
> of documentation work.

Not unless we declared them a public interface.  That means supporting
them, preserving compatibility, et cetera.  We are not prepared to do
that.

> I couldn't use the default target protocol, because i wasn't interfacing
> to an end target. I was interfacing to an ICE debugger (that already had
> its own protocol) for the target.
>
> I did it to replace the current hack of having an extra program on the
> pc that converts between the default gdb target protocol, and this ICE-
> specific protocol.
>
> The conversion hack was extremely slow, clumsy, fault-intolerant, and
> error-prone.

I would need to know a lot more about these problems, but it is very
likely that they are problems with the conversion program - not with
the concept.  If they were problems with the remote protocol, we would
be interested in fixing them.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC