Re: Maintainer policy for GDB

> My reservations about responsibilities without an authority is not
> theoretical,

I believe that the proposal was to give authority without responsibility.

If I understand your point well, you are asking whether we will have
people who will accept the responsibility, since they could simply
earn authority and not bind themselves with responsibility.

This is indeed an interesting question where you have to believe that
people will be willing to donate a bit of their time to help the project.
It's not completely altruistic. The reason I'm working with free software
is that it's given me so much over the past 10 years. So contributing back
is one way of working for me myself and I. I would gladly take some
responsibility (and hopefully will on the ada-* code one day) if I had
enough knowledge to do so. Take the release management role: It doesn't
give me any authority nor power. I just donate a bit of my time to
create releases when the group think is best. If tomorrow the
maintainers send a message and say: let's create a new release, I'll
just do it. I accepted the responsibility of doing this job without
any added authority.

--
Joel