Re: MI: asynchronous operation details

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 04:49:22PM +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> > > Ok, but -- why do I ever want to issue commands while inferior is
> > > running? For which kind of commands is that useful?
> >
> > You could interupt the inferior, to tell it to stop. I think that would
> > be equivalent to typing ^c at the console now.
>
> Well, exactly. I can do "^C" today, so nothing gained at all.

Well, clearly sending the ^C is not as nice as the MI -exec-interrupt
command. The former is simply legacy from a console driven front end.
It's not intuitive.

> > I'm sure there are other useful features also.
>
> Still curious what are they ;-)

If you look in the documentation, the 'Asynchronous command.' will be
next to each command that is supposed to support an asynchronous style
command. For example:

    -exec-interrupt

    Asynchronous command. Interrupts the background execution of the
    target.

Bob Rossi